Monday, August 10, 2009

Fathers’ Day

As I was thinking about a blurb to post for Fathers' Day, I heard a still, small voice ask, "What about Joseph?" Joseph of Nazareth was a father after my own heart... a father much like my own. He was a blue collar worker who loved and cared for his family. The scriptures don't tell us much about Joseph. Matthew says his father was named Jacob. Luke says his father was Heli. What we do know about Joseph is that he "did right by his family." When Mary, his betrothed, turned up pregnant, Joseph didn't walk away. Instead he was obedient to the angel who came to him in a dream. He took Mary as his wife and raised Jesus with the love of a biological father. When Herod the Great began murdering Jewish babies, Joseph took Mary and Jesus to Egypt for safety.

We know that Joseph was an artisan with wood, iron, and stone...a carpenter. As a loving father he taught Jesus his trade, realizing that Jesus would not be remembered as a carpenter. We know that Joseph recognized the importance of education. When Jesus was 12, Mary and Joseph took Him to the temple in Jerusalem to sit at the feet of the rabbis and learn the scriptures. On the journey back to Nazareth, when they realized that Jesus wasn't with them, Mary and Joseph returned to the temple to find 12 year old Jesus teaching the rabbis. The scriptures don't tell us any more about Joseph after this event. Many Bible scholars feel that Joseph died before Jesus' ministry began. Joseph was an obedient, loving father. What else is there to know?

Most of you have read the advice from Robert Fulghum in his book "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten." If you haven't, you should so click the link. With all due respect to Mr. Fulghum however, these are lessons I learned from my father (and mother) well before kindergarten. My dad also taught me several other important lessons, such as:

No matter what you do, be the best you can be; but remember there will always be a faster gun, so practice humility.

If you play, play to win and don't leave anything on the field; but if you lose, lose graciously.

The three greatest gifts a father can give his children are a living example of a faithful, obedient Christian; a visible love for, and devotion to their mother; and lots of happy memories.

This is the second Fathers' Day since my dad went to be with his heavenly Father. I still miss him, but am grateful that he, like Joseph, did right by his family. I pray that my children and grandchildren will be able to say the same.

Happy Fathers' Day

No comments: